VOLCANO: Proposed announcement for Volcano Listserv

From: John Eichelberger <jceichelberger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Proposed announcement for Volcano Listserv

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to join us and submit a presentation to our Fall AGU 2017 Session “Drilling Magma Chambers”, Session NH007.

Conveners: John Eichelberger (U Alaska Fairbanks), Yan Lavallee (U Liverpool), and Doug Blankenship (Sandia National Laboratories)

Session Description:

There have now been multiple cases where geothermal drilling penetrated magma. In no case was this intentional and in one case an effort was made to avoid magma. Together with long experience from coring lava lakes, these drilling achievements demonstrate that molten rock can be reached, controlled, and even cored. Maturing technology and societal needs to understand eruption risk and develop clean energy compel the next step: Intentional exploration. Magma in situ is the fundamental ground of igneous petrology, crustal evolution, geothermal energy, and volcanic eruptions. What have we learned so far from chance encounters with the real thing? Why, with multiple techniques, are we deficient in locating magma? How will improved knowledge of location and conditions of magma impact hazard assessments? Can use of extreme sensors for direct monitoring improve eruption forecasting? Can energy be extracted directly from magma? Where and how should we try to answer these questions?

The submission deadline is 2 August 2017, 11:59 P.M. EDT

Submit your abstract at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2017/abstract-submissions/