VOLCANO: 2017 EGU Geophysics, Petrology and Rheology of the Continental Moho Transition Zone

From: "Pistone, Mattia" <PistoneM@xxxxxx>
Subject: 2017 EGU GMPV2.5 / EMRP4.33 / GD2.8 / SM4.9 (co-organised): Geophysics, Petrology and Rheology of the Continental Moho Transition Zone

Dear colleagues,

We are now soliciting abstracts for our upcoming session at the EGU in Vienna (April 23-28, 2017) focusing on the architecture and composition of the almost inaccessible continental Moho transition zone. With this session we hope to encourage interaction and collaboration between researchers, especially field geologists, geochemists, petrologists, geophysicists and rock physicists who utilise field, numerical and experimental methods to unravel the chemical, physical, and thermal identity of the Moho transition zone.

Abstract Deadline is January 11, 2017, 13:00 CET.

Session Title:

Geophysics, Petrology and Rheology of the Continental Moho Transition Zone

Session ID:

GMPV2.5 / EMRP4.33 / GD2.8 / SM4.9 (co-organised)

Session Abstract:

Establishing the link between magma generation, transport, emplacement and eruption can significantly improve our understanding of crust-forming processes associated with plate tectonics. This helps to determine the architecture and composition of the almost inaccessible continental lower crust and upper mantle, including the Moho transition zone, acting as geophysical boundary between crust and mantle. There is a longstanding debate on the petrological, geochemical, rheological and seismic character of the continental Moho transition zone. Most areas with a presumed paleocrust-mantle transition zone are allochthonous with respect to the present-day mantle rocks. There are few places on Earth where high-resolution geophysical and outcrop data collectively provide precious insights into the crust-mantle transition, but no tight constraints determine the actual architecture of the continental lower crust and location and thickness of the Moho. We welcome field geologists, geochemists, petrologists, geophysicists and rock physicists who utilise field, numerical and experimental methods to address the following key questions:

- What is the architecture of the Moho transition zone?

- Which role do magmatism and tectonics play in the construction of the continental crust?

- How can we link rock chemistry, mineralogy and texture to seismic wave velocities to improve existing geophysical models at high spatial resolution (< 1 km scale)?

- What is the production and flux of heat and fluids in and across the continental Moho transition zone?

The session programme can be found at:

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2017/session/24691

For more information about the EGU meeting, and to submit an abstract, please visit:

http://egu2017.eu/home.html

We look forward to seeing you all in Vienna!

Conveners:

Mattia Pistone (Smithsonian Institution, United States; University of Lausanne, Switzerland)

Luca Ziberna (University of Bristol, United Kingdom)

György Hetényi (University of Lausanne, Switzerland)

Othmar Müntener (University of Lausanne, Switzerland)