VOLCANO: AGU 2014. Rates and depths of magma ascent at subduction zone volcanoes

AGU 2014. Rates and depths of magma ascent at subduction zone volcanoes
From: Georg Zellmer <g.f.zellmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

AGU Fall meeting abstract submissions close August 6 at 11:59pm EDT.
We invite you to submit your contributions to our session on

"Rates and depths of magma ascent at subduction zone volcanoes"

Session Description:
Advances have been made in deciphering the rates of magmatic processes
for a variety of magmatic systems, ranging from small scale mafic
eruptions to felsic supereruptions. Progress has been based on U-series
nuclide constraints and diffusion modelling (geospeedometry) within
crystals and recently within melt inclusions. Timescales range from
millennia to minutes, depending on the dating method employed and the
magmatic system investigated. Further, the depths to the magma source
region range from subcrustal to shallow crustal levels. In this session,
we invite contributions that may elucidate magma ascent rates to their
ultimate storage depths (if storage occurs) and to the surface at the
onset of eruption, and that can put tight constraints on the magma
source region. We welcome geochemical and geophysical methods, and
combinations of techniques, but particularly encourage novel approaches
that may provide additional insights on the timescales of magma
transfer, remobilization, and eruption at subduction zone volcanoes.

Invited speakers:
Kim Berlo, McGill University, Canada
Marc-Antoine Longpre, CUNY, USA
Daniel Morgan, University of Leeds, UK
Olivier Reubi, University of Lausanne, Switzerland

To submit your abstract, you may use the following link:
http://agu.confex.com/agu/fm14/v/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=3021

See you in San Francisco.

Best wishes,

Georg Zellmer, Massey University, New Zealand
Philipp Ruprecht, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, USA
Mark Reagan, University of Iowa, USA
Fidel Costa, Earth Observatory of Singapore, Singapore