VOLCANO: EGU 2014. Mass extinctions and rapid global warming in deep time

EGU 2014. Mass extinctions and rapid global warming in deep time
From:  Sverre Planke <planke@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

Please consider presenting your research in the session "Mass extinctions and rapid global warming in deep time" (Session GMPV41) at the European Geosciences Union meeting 2014, 27 April–2 May, in Vienna.

Mass extinction and global warming events in Earth history are often temporarily associated with the eruption of Large igneous provinces (LIPs), e.g. the end-Permian, the end-Triassic, and the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) events.  Currently, LIPs and their effects on ancient crises are hot research topics. In this session, we invite a broad range of contributions on Earth crises in the Phanerozoic times. We envision a session where experts from different fields can meet and share new ideas and data that may shed new light on some of the biggest extinction and climate events in Earth history. Session topics include igneous intrusive and extrusive rates and processes, formation and faith of volcanic and metamorphic gases, proxy data from sedimentary sequences, the fossil extinction records, and climate modeling.

Please note that the abstract submission deadline is Wednesday, 16 January (13:00 CET).

We look forward to meeting you in Vienna.

Best wishes,

Sverre Planke (planke@xxxxxxx)

Wolfram Kürschner (w.m.kuerschner@xxxxxxxxxx)

Richard Ernst (Richard.Ernst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)