VOLCANO: EGU 2014. Across- and along-arc chemical trends in arc volcanism

EGU 2014. Across- and along-arc chemical trends in arc volcanism
From: Sebastian Watt <s.watt@xxxxxxxxxx>

We encourage contributions to the following session at the EGU General Assembly in Vienna, 27 April to 2 May 2014:

GMPV2/GD5.5/TS7.11 Across- and along-arc chemical trends in arc volcanism

We hope that this session will draw together a range of colleagues investigating chemical patterns in arc volcanism. Our aim is to highlight the range of current work using arc-magma chemistry to constrain chemical processing through subduction zones, and to explore the key controls on the position of volcanic arcs and the compositional diversity of arc magmas.

Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is 16 January 2014.

Session description:

Systematic geochemical variations in arc magmas point to the influence of slab, mantle and crustal components. Disentangling the relative contribution of each of these sources provides insights into the major controls on arc-magma genesis and evolution. Recent studies have improved our understanding of melting processes using a range of approaches, including volatile element geochemistry of primitive through evolved melt inclusion suites, as well as the construction of comprehensive and highly detailed datasets of whole-rock major and trace element and isotopic compositions of arc rocks for specific regions.

Over the past 30 years, detailed studies of a wide range of arc systems have improved our understanding of how a range of parameters influence magma compositions. Coupling chemical data with geophysical observations, experimental results and numerical models of melting enables chemical patterns to be used as constraints on subduction zone structure and dynamics. Such work potentially addresses questions regarding the controls on the location of the arc front, arc width, fluid inventories and melting processes beneath arcs, as well as how variable crustal materials, both in the down-going and over-riding plate, affect arc magma generation.

In this session, we welcome contributions from all geographic regions that investigate chemical patterns among groups of volcanoes to interpret the nature and character of arc magmatism. We also welcome studies that link geophysical observations or theoretical models of subduction zone dynamics to chemical data.

Convener: Sebastian Watt

Co-conveners: Heidi Wehrmann, Tamsin Mather, David Pyle, Weidong Sun

Sebastian Watt
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences,
University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston,
Birmingham B15 2TT
U.K.