VOLCANO: EGU 2014. session on Deep Carbon

EGU 2014. session on Deep Carbon
From: gaillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deep Carbon Observatory.

Fabrice
Fabrice Gaillard, ISTO, Orléans, France.
fabrice.gaillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GMPV9/GD1.3
The deep carbon geodynamic cycles (co-sponsored by AGU-VGP) (co-organized)

Convener: Fabrizio Nestola
Co-Conveners: Michael Burton , Michael Walter , G. Chiodini , Fabrice
Gaillard, Bernard Marty.

Thirty years ago, a series of key papers were published on the topic of
deep carbon, tackling the geochemical, petrological and geophysical
consequences of its cycling through the various Earth's envelops. Over the
last 10 years, this topic has regained in interest, certainly due to the
need in better reconstructing paleo-atmospheric CO2 content, which
requires a better definition of this other -deep- carbon cycle. The aim of
this session is to confront the various methods and various scales
assessing the
multiple questions raised by carbon in the Earth's interior. Carbon
emitted in the atmosphere from volcanic and metamorphic areas show that a
few remarkable sites emit enormous quantity of carbon, other regions being
in comparison in a sort of background. The geodynamic perspective of
carbon cycling remains poorly able to explain these observations and this
contradiction might be discussed here.
Discussions on the amount and the modalities of carbon burial and storage
in the deep crust are expected and the introduction of carbon in
subduction zones remains a key aspect on which we would like to know more.
Mantle carbon, its connection to metasomatism and extrusive rocks such as
kimberlites and carbonatites, and the redox processes relating carbonated
to diamondiferous rocks will be debated. Finally, we anticipate
contributions discussing secular variations in the cycling of carbon from
the primordial planetary steps to the modern and future terrestrial
planets.

Do not miss the deadline for abstract submissions: 16th January.
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/14896