VOLCANO: Final Call for abstracts - AGU Session V47: Where Do We Go From Here: Frontiers and Challenges in Igneous Petrology

Final Call for abstracts - AGU Session V47: Where Do We Go From Here:
Frontiers and Challenges in Igneous Petrology
From: Erik Klemetti <klemettie@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

A reminder for submissions to our session for the 2011 AGU Fall
Meeting - remember, the AGU abstract deadline is now 11:59 PM EDT
AUGUST 4.

This session emphasizes new directions and ideas in igneous petrology
that bring together current research and future questions in the
field, both in analytical methods and geologic theory. We especially
encourage early career geoscientists (graduate students, postdocs,
pre-tenure faculty and more) to submit to this session. If you have
any questions about the session, please feel free to email one of the
conveners listed below.

V47. Where Do We Go From Here: Frontiers and Challenges in Igneous Petrology
(http://sites.agu.org/fallmeeting/scientific-program/session-search/896)

The last decade has seen remarkable advances in analytical techniques
for isotopic, trace element and age determination along with
geochemical  and petrologic modeling. These data and models have
allowed us to probe the longevity, geometry, origin and processes at
work in magmatic systems. This session hopes to look at where the key
areas of inquiry lie for igneous petrology over the next decade,
focusing on examples of the new frontiers of research. It will also
look at what challenges lie ahead when trying to understand magmatic
processes in light of decreasing detection limits and more precise
measurement capabilities. We hope to emphasize early career
petrologists and their ideas for the future of the discipline.

Conveners:

Erik Klemetti (klemettie@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Denison University - USA

Michael Rowe (mcrowe@xxxxxxx)