VOLCANO: Announcing the 'new' IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic Volcanism

Announcing the 'new' IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic Volcanism
From: "Amanda Hintz" <arl6@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcano Community,

We are happy to announce that the ‘IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic
Volcanism’ has established a Group under the VHub (Collaborative
volcano research and risk mitigation) server (http://vhub.org/) in
order to better facilitate online collaboration and communication.

“The main goal of the new IAVCEI commission, Commission on Monogenetic
Volcanism (CMV) is to provide a forum for researchers to define and
understand the phenomenon of small volume magmatic systems and their
surface expression as volcanic fields. The CMV’s aim is to take a
leading role in facilitating and coordinating and focusing research
and research outputs regarding monogenetic volcanism. We will also
assist research community in the development and refinement of a set
of ‘standards’ as well as working towards a unified, collaborative
model of monogenetic volcanism.”

We invite you to join to the IAVCEI CMV and participate in the
development of the IAVCEI CMV group site by;
Actively taking part in group discussions.
Publishing blogs related to monogenetic volcanism (e.g. musings,
fieldwork, conferences, fieldtrips or workshops you have attended).
Informing other members about relevant activities and events
pertaining to monogenetic volcanism.
Sharing data in the form of depositing publications, maps, reference
materials, conference information you think the community would be
happy to see.

You can join to the IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic Volcanism Group
via the following link:

https://vhub.org/groups/iavcei_cmv

If you intend to provide and share data or resources with the
community, you must first be a VHub member.  Click the “Register”
button in the upper right-hand corner, fill out the required
information, and follow the link sent to the email address you provide
to confirm membership.  Once you are a member,  select the “Resources”
tab on the left side of the screen under the IAVCEI CMV group’s
homepage, then follow the easy step-by-step process. You can choose
three levels of security of your uploaded items depending on how
broadly you wish to have your item visible by others. To maintain the
work, discussion and data sharing for ‘Members’ of the Commission on
Monogenetic Volcanism Group, please choose the medium level of
security. We also recommend that you tag your uploaded items using
‘IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic Volcanism’ in addition to any other
relevant tags for easier and faster identification of the material
related to IAVCEI CMV.

To get started….we invite you to share your views on monogenetic
volcanism in the “What does 'monogenetic' mean to you?” discussion
topic. We especially encourage our young researchers and student
members to participate in what we hope will be a great learning and
networking experience.

Please also do not forget the “4th International Maar Conference: A
Multidisciplinary Congress on Monogenetic Volcanism” will be held in
Auckland (New Zealand), 20-24 February 2012. The conference is a major
scientific event supported by the IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic
Volcanism and welcomes all relevant contributions.

Abstract submission and registration are open until 1st November 2011.
For further information, please visit http://www.4imc.org.nz

Amanda Hintz (arl6@xxxxxxxxxxx) and Karoly Nemeth (K.Nemeth@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Vhub Group Managers for the IAVCEI Commission on Monogenetic Volcanism