VOLCANO: AGU 2011 Session V08:Formation and evolution of magmatic enclaves in arc-related rocks

AGU 2011 Session V08:Formation and evolution of magmatic enclaves in arc-related rocks
From: "COLLINS S.J." <s.j.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues, we would like to draw your attention to the following special session at the 2011 Fall AGU Meeting.

Abstract deadline: 4th August

Formation and evolution of magmatic enclaves in arc-related rocks

Magmatic enclaves are common to many intermediate and silicic arc-related volcanic and plutonic rocks, and they vary in size, composition, petrography, quenchedness and source. They represent the interaction between diverse magma types, each with varying physical characteristics such as temperature, crystal and H2O content and composition. Quantifying the physical and chemical processes that occur when these magmas interact, such as hybridization, crystallization, assimilation and volatile exchange, is a fundamental objective in our attempt to understand how magmas interact and evolve. We invite contributions from researchers who focus on using and integrating petrological, geochemical, and mechanical methodologies on enclave components to elucidate the roles that these magmatic processes play in enclave formation and magma evolution.

Invited speakers:

Charlie Bacon and Brandon Browne

Conveners:

Frank J. Tepley, III College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, U.S.A.
ftepley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dale H. Burns, Department of Geosciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, U.S.A.
burnsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah Collins, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University, Durham DH1 3LE United Kingdom
s.j.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxx