VOLCANO: AGU 2011 Session: V39 The Origin of Orogenic Andesites

AGU 2011 Session: V39 The Origin of Orogenic Andesites
From: Susanne Straub <smstraub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all -

We are sending an update of our Fall AGU 2011 session on orogenic andesites that now contains all our invited speakers.
We hope to see you there!

Cheers,

*V39: The Origin of Orogenic Andesites*
Conveners: Susanne M. Straub, G.F. Zellmer, Arturo Gomez-Tuena

Arc magmas are globally distinguished by their high average contents of silica. Understanding the causes of enrichment of silica and other elements is fundamental to models of arc crustal growth, to quantification of arc fluxes and their impact on Earth. Yet, no consensus exists on arc magma origin. For example, contrasting models propose either primary andesite formation beneath the Moho, or through crustal differentiation of basaltic mantle melts. We invite all papers that approach andesite genesis through field, geochemical and modeling studies. Particularly welcome are contributions that provide constraints on the time scales of melt formation, ascent and differentiation, and those that distinguish subcrustal from crustal petrogenetic processes.

Invited speakers:
Anthony Dosseto
Adam Kent
Michael C. Rowe