VOLCANO: IUGG 2011 Session: VO8 Volcanic Conduit and Vent Processes

IUGG 2011 Session: VO8 Volcanic Conduit and Vent Processes
From: Ben Kennedy <ben.kennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to draw your attention to another session at IUGG Melbourne, abstract submission deadline tuesday feb 1st.

It should be a corker ! (or un-corker!)

IUGG VO8  Volcanic Conduit and Vent Processes

Lead Convenors: Ben Kennedy (New Zealand), Oleg Melnik (United Kingdom), Jonathan Castro (Australia), Paolo Papale (Italy), Michael Manga (United States of America)

Scope: Nearly all magmas undergo degassing and crystallization whilst ascending within volcanic conduits. This process has profound implications for both explosive and effusive eruptions. The end product is lava or pyroclasts that contains bubbles, crystals, cracks and glass in varying proportions. Details of the processes driving these textural changes, their timescales and consequences can be elucidated using textural and geochemical analysis, experimentation, geophysical and modelling approaches. Our session will focus upon the complex interplay between eruption style, volatile content, degassing rate, crystallisation, viscosity, vent geometry, and magma ascent rate. Textural changes may also control the ductile-brittle transition of ascending magma and associated seismicity. We welcome all contributions addressing these and related topics, especially those that combine natural observations, geophysical monitoring with well-constrained experiments or numerical models.

Keynote Speakers: Antonio Costa, Alain Burguisser, Hugh Tuffen