VOLCANO: Deadline Extended!!! CAN PLINIAN ERUPTIONS BE FORECAST?

Deadline Extended!!! CAN PLINIAN ERUPTIONS BE FORECAST?
From: Chris Newhall <cnewhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS)

This year is the 20th anniversary of the 1991 plinian eruption of Pinatubo – successfully forecast – and the centennial of the 1911 eruption of Taal – an unanticipated basaltic phreatoplinian(?) event.  To mark these occasions, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) and the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) are organizing a workshop to address difficult scientific and social challenges posed by potential plinian eruptions.
This will be the first of a new series of workshops in Asia called Nanyang Geoscience Roundtables, co-sponsored by EOS.   We will invite several provocative keynote speakers, with the balance of time devoted to in-depth brainstorming and discussion at (optional) posters.   The number of participants will be limited to assure lively discussions.  We hope these discussions will lead to proposals and new work, and also to a special volume.

Among the tough questions to be tackled:
•• If a volcano produces mostly small eruptions but occasional large, plinian eruptions, can we anticipate the latter with enough certainty to warrant a "worst-case" evacuation or other extraordinary precaution?
•• What are prerequisites for a plinian eruption?
-- What can trigger plinian eruptions?
-- What indicators and processes can lead to such an eruption, and which, if any, are distinctive?
-- What are the scientific and socio-political issues that will dictate whether an extraordinary warning is issued and corresponding precaution taken?

Please see http://ngr.earthobservatory.sg for more details and for an application form,    Return your application by email before a now extended deadline, MARCH 1, 2011.  Graduate students are encouraged to apply.   Partial travel grants are available.  This workshop is timed to dovetail into IUGG pre-meeting field trips including one to Taal and Mayon.

For more information, see our webpage or email

GeoscienceRoundtable@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:GeoscienceRoundtable@xxxxxxxxxx>.
Chris Newhall and Renato Solidum, co-convenors