VOLCANO: IUGG 2011 Session: V01: Magma Chambers and Their Dynamics: how big are they, their time scales of formation and longevity, how do we detect them, crystals and their stories

From: Luca Caricchi <l.caricchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We would like to draw your attention to the session "V01: Magma Chambers and Their Dynamics: how big are they, their time scales of formation and longevity, how do we detect them, crystals and their stories" at the IUGG in Melbourne.

Lead Convenors: Catherine Annen (United Kingdom), Luca Caricchi (United Kingdom), Othmar Müntener (Switzerland)
Scope: At the basis of our models in petrology and volcanology is the concept of magma chamber, a place where magmas stall, crystallize, exsolve their gas, differentiate, mix and get contaminated. As they cannot be observed directly, our knowledge of magma chambers derives from the interpretation of indirect evidence, that include geophysical signals and observation of erupted rocks and gases. Many aspects of magma chambers, even their very existence, are debated. The objective of this symposium is to bring together researchers interested in magma chambers and to gather contributions that could help answering the following questions: How can we detect magma chambers? What are their size, shape, and depth? On what timescale do they form and what is their longevity? How do their crystal content evolve and what is the story of different families of crystals? For a given volcano, how many magma reservoirs between the mantle and the Earth surface? Are there general rules about magma chambers or is each volcanic system unique?
Keynote speakers: Ben Kennedy, Fidel Costa
Hope to see you in Melbourne!

Catherine, Luca and Othmar