VOLCANO: Volcanic succession and biodiversity conference

Volcanic succession and biodiversity conference
From: Barry Barker <barkerb@xxxxxxxx>

Announcement: Call for Papers: Volcanic succession and biodiversity

I am the conference chair and we are about to send out a  “call for papers”
announcements for our 2011 International Biodiversity Conference in Baños,
Ecuador, July 29-Aug 4, 2011. Since the  now-active, now-erupting Tungurahua
volcano is in our backyard  (or vice versa) we through it may be of interest
to some on your volcano list serv members to present papers.  I ask because
2 years ago, a volcanologist from New Zealand traveled to Ecuador to study
succession patterns of Tungurahua. He also presented a paper on his research
to our 2008 Conference.

This is an invitation for member of your group to join us in Baños, Ecuador,
July 29 - August 4, 2011 for the 2011 International Biodiversity Conference.
Please consider presenting a paper, sharing your expertise in biodiversity,
and/or being an active participant. This is our third bilingual (English &
Spanish) conference in Baños.

·         Go  to our conference site ( <http://www.wsfbioconference.org>
http://www.wsfbioconference.org)

·         Then, send an email to Dr. Barker (
<mailto:barkerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> barkerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) to
reserve a place.

·         http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11920406

Considered by some to be one of the most biodiverse places on Earth, the
Foundation has an ongoing 20-year project in Ecuador's cloud forest to
develop a photographic inventory of endangered/threatened plant and animal
species in this part of the world. In addition, several other Ecuadorian and
American scientists are defining this unique ecological habitat and
discovering dozens of new species. We are organizing our third Biodiversity
Conference to learn more about this and other unique ecosystems around the
world, share research, and develop new questions for further study.

In addition, we extend an invitation to our AMAZONIA CLOUD FOREST
BIODIVERSITY CENTER in Baños. One of the missions of this center is to
collect photographic data on endangered/threatened species in this part of
the world and support scientists investigating this region of the world. Our
goal for the Center and the Conference is to have an international group
representing Ecuador, Chile, Peru, Germany, South Africa, New Zealand,
Australia, Canada, and the United States, as well as scientists from other
countries with an interest in biodiversity, discovery of new species,
zoology, taxonomy, wildlife conservation, as well as the applied side of
this science including, but not limited to, ecotourism, nature photography
as a scientific tool, and new or creative strategies in biodiversity
education and environmental conflict resolution.

Our general categories are

·         Ecological Research in Biodiversity a variety of habitats around
the world

·         Man, Society, and Biodiversity

·         Environmental Conflict Resolution

·         Captive Breeding; Capture and Release Programs

·         Ecological Biodiversity Research

·         Species-Specific Biodiversity Research

·         Biodiversity in a Changing Climate

·         Biogeographic projects and related research

·         Volcanic succession and biodiversity

·         GIS and Spatial Ecology Research

·         Innovative Environmental Education Programs

In the disciplines of

·         ecology,

·         environmental geology,

·         climate change

·         wildlife conservation,

·         species interaction,

·         new species discoveries,

·         zoology,

·         forest policy,

·         orchids,

·         tropical biology

·         GIS, modeling, animal tracking

·         Biodiversity

·         Innovations in Environmental Education

·         For more information, go to: http://www.wsfbioconference.org

·         To hold a presentation position: please email paper/presentation
title and your university affiliation to Dr Barker:
barkerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·         We are also looking for bilingual volunteers to help us in Baños
July 28-August 4, 2011; please send an email to Vardeman@xxxxxxxx