VOLCANO: Merapi ash and health

Merapi ash and health
From: "Claire J. Horwell" <claire.horwell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

The International Volcanic Health Hazard Network is trying to assist with the disaster response at Merapi volcano. We have translated our two pamphlets for the public (on 'Preparedness, before, during and after ashfall' and on 'The health hazards of volcanic ash') into Bahasa Indonesia and the text-only versions are now available to download on the IVHHN website (www.ivhhn.org). Hopefully the formatted pamphlets will be available for download early next week.

We have made contact with some local agencies but if you are in contact with local colleagues we would be very grateful if you could pass the web link on to them so that the pamphlets can be printed locally and distributed.

Also, we would like to analyse samples of the ash to check for health-pertinent characteristics. Again, if you are in contact with colleagues near Merapi, we would be very grateful if you could please ask them to send me an ash sample. Guidelines are available on the IVHHN website for ash collection procedures.

Many thanks indeed,
Claire Horwell