EGU 2009 Session on Public Policy and Commercial Applications of Natural Catastrophe Risk Assessment

From: Rashmin Gunasekera <gunasekerar@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We invite papers for the following session at the EGU 2009 (Vienna,
Austria, 19-24 April 2009)

Session NH10.1 Public policy and commercial applications of natural
catastrophe risk assessment

The session will be focusing specifically on the application of natural
hazard risk assessment in public policy and in commercial environments.
We believe this is an exciting step forward and indicates the growing
position of natural hazards related research in the academic, public
policy and commercial environments.

The session description is attached below.

Natural catastrophes have an adverse, usually disastrous, effect on
people and/or the environment. Hurricane Katrina and the Boxing Day
Tsunami are just two examples that have highlighted the impact of these
events. This session will highlight the role of scientists in the
insurance industry and how their research can assist (a) in the
reduction and sharing of risk at local, regional and global levels, in
particular with regards to public policy, and (b) the application of
catastrophe management in a commercial environment when trying to
provide estimates of financial (and humanitarian) consequences.

This session therefore welcomes abstract submissions that explore the
current and future applications of natural hazard risk assessment both
for public policy and in a commercial environment. From catastrophe
models to risk indices, scientists provide the critical link between
theory and practice. Examples of scientific contributions we welcome
include the spatial distribution of exposure, the potential losses, and
the subsequent transfer, spread, and management of risk.

We encourage submissions from both the social and natural sciences and
the presentation of new research, with the intention of stimulating
debate and discussion, engaging multiple disciplines. We foresee a
lively combination of oral and poster presentations, discussions, and a
splinter room meeting associated with the scientific session.

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2009/session/771

The deadline for submission of abstracts is January 13th 2009.

Convener: M. Foote
Co-Conveners: D. Bresch , R. Muir-Wood , A. Smolka

If you have any questions we would be delighted to answer them. Please
do not hesitate to contact us.

Please feel free to forward this announcement to your colleagues.
With best regards,

Rashmin