[VLAN] MTU problem with kernel 2.4.29 and tulip driver

Pascal DeMilly wrote:
> William,
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> The problem that our VLAN users are experimenting is that when downloading or
> uploading large file, the connection will drop. Some users have difficulties
> login on their hotmail account.
>
> In the same building, we have another VLAN switch connected to an Intel board
> and the same machines connected to this switch, will not experience that
> problem.
>
> So my feeling is that it is either a problem with the card or with the tulip
> driver. I am currently trying to drop the MTU on some of those machines and
> they seem to work better.
>
> Since I am using the latest kernel 2.4.29, I am wondering if the tulip driver
> included is patched. Hopefully it is not an hardware problem, but I used 2
> different cards, one a simple linksys and the current quad port card
> AEI-P430TX with the same behavior.
>
> Pascal

I don't think the tulip patch was ever accepted by the kernel maintainers.

My suggestion is to use an Intel chipset NIC instead.  If you need 4-port
adapters, you can get a 4-port Intel 10/100/1000 NIC from newegg.com for
around $450.

Thanks,
Ben

--