Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.7.24

On 05.03.2012 19:54, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:

On 3/5/2012 2:52 AM, Gero wrote:
On Monday 05 March 2012 - 09:02:56, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
On 05.03.2012 04:47, Gero wrote:
On Sunday 04 March 2012 - 22:51:36, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
On 04.03.2012 19:04, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
A problem I have run into before is not that a channel is down, though
that also happens, but that a tuner is down. I've had tuner crashes,
but vdr just stayed with that tuner/chanel and recorded nothing. I
currently have 5 ATA tuners. 2 Dual tuner cards and a single.

Didn't VDR report a "video data stream broken" and perform a restart?

That problem coincides with my problem of recordings with length 0 and
filesize of few megabytes. Didn't know that it comes from a crashed
tuner.

If I remember right, there was no "video data stream broken" message and
after enabling the automatic shutdown I realized, that the vdr waits
until no recording is active before initiating the restart.

So the automatic restart did not really help anything, especially in
environments, where multiple parallel recordings are most probably to
happen.

It doesn't matter whether there is only one or multiple recordings.
Whenever a "video data stream broken" occurs, VDR performs an immediate
"emergency exit" (unless you turned that off, but then you're on
your own).

That might be true.

When I first reported recordings with length 0, the emergency exit was
disabled. That time I had log-entries with "video data stream broken".
According your advice, I enabled it, but since then I had no more log-entries
with "video data stream broken", but had recordings with length 0

So there might be other reasons that stop vdr from recording without any
notice / log entry

So if a tuner doesn't deliver any more data, VDR restarts
and reloads the driver (provided you use a properly set up "runvdr"
script).

Hm, I gues my runvdr might be ok, since my backend does timer-controlled
wakeup and shuts down in idle state.

kind regards

Gero

Restarting when you have more then one recording screws up the working ones. The local broadcasters are morons about digital broadcast. Even with a good strong signal you can have broken up video which would trigger the restart making things even worse.

Well, then I guess you need to make your hardware/drivers work properly, so
that you can turn off the emergency exit. VDR can only work with what it gets.

Klaus