Re: [OT] development infrastructur for VGA2SCART patch set

Am Montag, den 02.03.2009, 17:26 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hilber:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:19:53PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> > > Concerning the wiki: I would prefer a neutral domain
> >
> > Sure. I had no other domain handy. Your domain name could also be used,
> > if you set up DNS this way (vga2scart.lowbyte.de) or we register some
> > free domain name vga2scart.de.vu or vga2scart.eu.org?
>
> something like vga2scart.eu.org sounds good. Though our project
> is not limited to vga2scart. In the meantime I successfully use a
> modified version of the vga-sync-fields patch on DVI/HDMI interface
> also. Providing me high quality 576i over DVI/HDMI on intel i9xx machines
> with SDVO ports.
> Originating from SDTV our project could be important for HDTV also.

Everyone, could please brainstorm about a name for this project [5].

> > > or even better
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/
> > >
> > > for this.
> >
> > If you are fine with that, great. My reasoning choosing ikiwiki is, that
> > I would expect it to save you (and others) time.
>
> I wonder why nobody else joins our discussion.

[…]

> You can setup a repos with current source found in vga-sync-fields
> package at anytime. Everybody is invited to test and contribute. I don't
> consider it as 'my' project. I just will contribute the initial idea behind
> frame rate control and a sample implementation for it.
>
> And of course I will continue to develop as time permits.

[…]

> As said, I don't consider it as my project. Everybody is invited to
> improve the project status. There are left many ideas and features still
> not implemented.

As written in my other message I continued to set up ikiwiki for the
project [5]. If something else will be better for the project, please
say so and we can change that.

I consider the most important thing right to get someone to publish
detailed instruction on how a VGA2SCART cable can be assembled.

For me a circuit diagram is not good enough for an inexperienced user in
soldering as myself. (Do I attach/fix the resistors on a board or just
between the wires? Where can I get the parts? …)

> I already wrote a to-do list with issues of lesser priority. But features
> that would improve things a lot.
>
> - like writing a tool similar to powerstrip. Which lets you adjust overscan
> and other parameters in real time by pressing cursor keys. or
>
> - derive xine's masterclock from graphics card frame rate. This would
> provide almost instant sync after a channel switch. The idea for this
> was published by 'durchflieger' [3]
>
> There are still left many things to do. As often in life it's not a matter
> of ideas but a matter of time:)

I added those two to the TODO list of the website [6].

Thanks,

Paul

[5] http://vga2scart.gw90.de/
[6] http://vga2scart.gw90.de/todo/