Re: [OT] development infrastructur for VGA2SCART patch set

Am Sonntag, den 01.03.2009, 07:40 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hilber:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:04:17PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> > > Why don't you just use the easy-vdr install script I mentioned above
> > > which already has been proven successful?
> >
> > I just checked it out. But the main problem in distribution is, that
> > everyone has to register to be able to download attachments.
>
> what's wrong with it? If registering is too much effort - nothing doing.

Well, it is just cumbersome.

0. Having this kind of file list takes less time and you can use wget
for example.
1. It takes time to register.
2. Being a German speaking forum, non-German speaker will not register
just to download something.
3. You have to give an e-mail address and remember a password.

(I do not like forums for this reason. If I want to take a look at an
attachment the post refers to I have to register. I do not think it is
appropriate to register at every forum. …)

> > I just took a look. On quick look at the homepage and the Wiki I could
> > not find any information on [1] on what Easy VDR does and on what distro
> > it is based.
> >
> > Looking at the script it looks like it is based on Debian Etch.
>
> it's a complete VDR distribution based on debian etch.

Lenny is out! ;-)

> > > There is no better way to document an installation than a working shell
> > > script:-)
> >
> > Of course, but if one has to register at a forum to get the files it
> > will prevent people from getting it and to contributing to the project.
>
> but it will guarantee to a certain extend that you will obtain a tested
> and working setup out-of-the-box after installation has finished.

I agree that it is a good way for a lot of people. But I believe it
takes some freedom of choices away from the people, which want to have
your latest patches to play with them and test them. I think those
people are also potential contributors.

> > I would be willing to begin to start such a page. But I wanted to know
> > your preferences, so that chances are high, that you will feel
> > comfortable with it.
>
> the problem is you can write whole books about the VGA2SCART theme.
> I *certainly* won't have the time to do that.

I know. And therefore I hope other people can do this. But to get going
one still has to communicate and organize a little to go into the same
direction.

> But for the beginning I
> could post a plain list of URLs where I finally got my informations from.

Well, that would certainly be interesting but I think not the most
important thing.

My Proposal
===========

Ok to start something I just did a test setup [2] of ikiwiki [3]. That
is just an example for what I think could be done to improve the
visibility of VGA2SCART to the world. ;-)

So if you do not like it or if you have another idea, I proceed as you
like, Thomas.

Reading your README I assume you are familiar with Git. Therefore I
choose it as a backend.

To clone it you can use.

git clone git://vga2scart.gw90.de/git/vga2scart

Notes
-----

Some notes about all this. ikiwiki takes formatted text files (standard
is Markdown) and based on them creates HTML pages. Using a repository
and a post-commit-hook the Wiki is updated every time something is
checked into the Wiki.

The author of ikiwiki, Joey Hess, wrote about this development model
[4].

More a less it does not change a lot, because instead of writing
something into the README you structure it a little bit more and use a
formatting style (you already used something like this in your README)
and ikiwiki builds a website additionally.

You could take a look on how ikiwiki is used in reality at ikiwiki [3]
or for example Monkeysphere [5]. ikiwiki is keeping the documentation
with the wiki under doc/ [6]. Monkeysphere does not use ikiwiki as a
wiki for normal users, but the developers use it to present their
project.

I must admit that a user has to register to edit the Wiki either using
his OpenID (only version 1 supported) creating an account. But anonymous
commits can be allowed by a plugin.

I did not put more work into the content of the pages not knowing what
you think. But as the nature of a wiki it will hopefully transform into
a good documentation about the project.

Continue
--------

I guess, you are using source code management doing creating your
patches. An easy way would be, if you could publish your tree(s) so that
it is accessible from the web. Then you could create a folder doc, where
the wiki is build from.

If you want to host this on your infrastructure that would be perfect.
If others can help you providing infrastructure that is also fine.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Paul

PS: Sorry, if my message is a little confusing. I hope I did not forget
anything.

[1] http://lowbyte.de/vga-sync-fields/
[2] http://vga2scart.gw90.de/
[3] http://ikiwiki.info/