Re: Options for deinterlacing (or not)

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 09:54:18PM +0000, Scott Waye wrote:
> I want to replace my UK Sky digital box with VDR (I only want the free
> to air channels) for watching/recording TV over HDMI on my plasma.  So
> far everything is working OK, I have vdr 1.7.3 and xine running on an
> ASUS M2N VM-HDMI (nvidia) mobo with the s2-liplianin drivers for my Nova
> SD2 card.  My problem is interlacing.  I've googled back through the
> archives and got a lot of info from there, however I still have one
> question and one request.
>
> If X is put into an interlaced mode (1920x1080i @ 50Hz), and I do not do
> any de interlacing in xine, why is this not the same as what my digibox
> does?  I'm guessing it has something to do with xine outputting a
> complete frame when the broadcast sends each field?  What I'd hope
> happen (for interlaced material) is that xine receives a field from VDR,
> scales it to the X resolution (halfed vertically of course) and sends it
> to the the graphics card which just passes it on to the TV which draws
> that field.  That doesn't seem to happen so where have I gone wrong?
>
> There's a lot of options for tvtime in xine, TomsMoComp and full
> framerate seem popular.  What settings are others using?

Hello.

Please check this thread:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-July/017347.html

Original patches:
http://lowbyte.de/vga-sync-fields/

New version:
http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=80567

Those might help.. they're about getting pure 1:1 interlaced (576i) RGB
output from a VGA card.. and the new version also has some HDTV stuff, I guess.
I don't read german so i'm not familiar with that..

There are also patches to maintain perfect field sync to DVB stream to avoid
tearing/stutter/jerkiness.

-- Pasi