Re: [OT] development infrastructur for VGA2SCART patch set

Am Montag, den 02.03.2009, 12:52 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hilber:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 06:43:00PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> > Reading your README I assume you are familiar with Git. Therefore I
> > choose it as a backend.
>
> Thank you for your effort so far.

No problem. I guess you have done more so far.

> I have no special preferences here. GIT or CVS is ok for me.
>
> Concerning the wiki: I would prefer a neutral domain

Sure. I had no other domain handy. Your domain name could also be used,
if you set up DNS this way (vga2scart.lowbyte.de) or we register some
free domain name vga2scart.de.vu or vga2scart.eu.org?

> or even better
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/
>
> for this.

If you are fine with that, great. My reasoning choosing ikiwiki is, that
I would expect it to save you (and others) time.

1. Everyone can use his favorite text editor and saves time not having
to open a browser and use web forms.

2. Let us say, you implement support for another card(?), than you would
update the README right away using the console and your editor of choice
and the Wiki is updated, too. Otherwise you would have to log into
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/ find the page, hit edit, (wait for it to
load,), …

Do you care about this? It all depends on your needs and habits.

On a side note. Do you know if linuxtv.org is also for non-English
languages. In my opinion, it would not be so beneficial to have the
documentation for one language on one site and for another language on
another.

> IMHO all VDR related documentation and discussion should be
> collected at one place.

Is linuxtv.org the place for VDR related documentation?

Do you mean by discussion mailing lists?

> 'Hosting' the source is another issue.
> We could use sourceforge.net for this?

I never used sourceforge.net. So I can not say anything about this. They
offer SVN and CVS, do not they?

My conclusion from your reply is, that publishing your repository on
your server is not an option.

Could you please tell me, how you are managing the VGA2SCART patches
right now and if publishing your tree on a server or for example [1]
would be an option.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://gitorious.org