Re: VDR with S2API (update)

Udo Richter a écrit :>> * if 2 VDRs record the same program at the same time, it seems to a be a>> big problem... If using a slightly different EPG data, this result in 2>> recordings with different times, and if using the exact same EPG, this>> result in something weird and maybe unusable (say, same station, same>> EPG, one via DVB-S, the other one via DVB-T, two different streams in>> one file...)> > This would be a lot better with a client-server timer structure. And in > the end, I'm pretty sure you don't need two VDR instances to record two > different programs into the same folder, or?
...this is a human error, but AFAIK nothing prevents it...
Other point : previous emails talk about various possibilities about DVB device "location".My ideal setup would be :* all DVB devices in a single headless always-on server* all clients diskless, using an NFS share
This avoids to raise problems like DVB devices spread around on clients, all with different capabilities, etc. Which could be a real nightmare WRT selecting the proper (powered on) device for recording/liveview, etc...I understand that VDR needs a plugin to solve issues like various DVB-S devices not pointed at the same satellite. Distributing this problem in a client/server setup seems arbitrarily complex to me.
(I currently have DVB devices partly spread around, and I don't want VDR or any plugin to solve this issue, as I can just move hardware around)(I also think that VDR is the only STB that can record many channels regardless of the number of tuners : every other commercial STB I know of can record one channel per tuner, and does not even try to suggest that it could be possible to record a second one without a second tuner. The bar is fairly low here, and VDR works much better than normal people expect)
Cheers,
-- NH
_______________________________________________vdr mailing listvdr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr