[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:22:12AM +0100, Udo Richter wrote:
> Marko M?kel? wrote:
> >It does.  The typical use case is that you pause live video or start
> >a recording with a timer, then start watching it while it is still
> >recording, so that you can skip commercial breaks.  Then you get
> >interrupted while watching it.  It would be very handy to push the
> >power button.
>
> Actually I would press the pause button, as I usually don't want to miss
> anything. And then the playback should be halted anyway, no matter if
> display is on or off.

But you surely would power the display off, to avoid burning the still
image on the CRT or plasma screen or to save the precious hours on the
lamp of your video beamer?  Or maybe you have a TFT screen and do not
care about wasting electricity?

For what it is worth, I updated my softdevice patch so that it pauses
the playback of recordings when suspended, that is, addresses this
problem.  Interested parties can fetch the patch from
<http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr#shutdown>, more precisely
<http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/shutdown-softdevice.patch>.
I will also submit a simpler patch to the softdevice mailing list that
fixes only this long-standing bug (when you play back a recording and
suspend softdevice from the menu, the recording will fast-forward to
the end).

> >How can I check this?  Using dvbstream or tzap while vdr is running?
> >Or from some file in /sys or /proc?
>
> I can, because my second card has the annoying 'feature' to loose its
> signal if the first FF card turns off the LNB power. Its quite common
> for me that I get a VDSB on recording start while watching a playback.
> The easiest fix is to start a recording that keeps the primary FF card
> 'busy'.

OK, I take your word for it.

	Marko