[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:55:11PM +0100, Udo Richter wrote:
> Marko M?kel? wrote:
> >First, and more important: Can you please suspend the playback of
> >recordings when Shutdown.IsUserInactive() holds?  Here is the relevant
> >hunk from my vdr-suspend patch:
>
> This would break the other interesting feature, shut down VDR as soon as
> the playback ends. Also, this would require a long and visible warning
> that VDR will soon stop playback because of inactivity, so the user wont
> be confused by the sudden stop of the playback.
>
> >Alternatively, could you suggest how to fix this in softdevice?
>
> Maybe not switching off display while doing playback? It doesn't make
> much sense anyway to run playback invisible.

It does.  The typical use case is that you pause live video or start
a recording with a timer, then start watching it while it is still
recording, so that you can skip commercial breaks.  Then you get
interrupted while watching it.  It would be very handy to push the
power button.

If it was a short interruption, you'd push any button to resume playback.
If the interruption was longer (such as your kid wakes up and you'll have
to put him back to sleep for a few hours), vdr would do the right thing
and shut down after finishing the recording.

> >Second request: Consider modifying cDevice::Action() so that
> >non-recording tuners will not be read during user inactivity.
> >The kernel would then be able to turn off unnecessary tuners.
>
> We had this discussion before, and since the majority of VDRs continues
> to display live video, I don't think that this should be part of VDR
> itself, and I don't really want to extend this patch into the deeper
> parts of cDevice.

I wouldn't be so sure about the majority of VDRs using FF cards.  I
haven't seen any ad for an FF card, but I have seen many ads for cheap
USB DVB-T tuners.  The trend is likely to change, given that decoding
MPEG-2 is no challenge to current PC hardware.  But anyway, I agree with
you that this doesn't belong to the shutdown rewrite.

> To de-tune live devices, a plugin could display a still, like
> streamdev-server does, to free up devices.

Hmm, doesn't the cDevice::Action() loop keep polling the device, even
though there are no registered consumers for the data?  At least that
was the case last time I looked, around 1.3.38.

> Unneeded tuners get de-tuned. Provide there are unneeded tuners. (I know
> that my primary FF card tuner gets de-tuned if I play back a recording.)

How can I check this?  Using dvbstream or tzap while vdr is running?
Or from some file in /sys or /proc?

	Marko