Re: Re: A more none tech german translation

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:38:24 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Andreas Mair wrote:
>> Hi,

>>>Also Sendungsdaten finde ich merkw?rdig... wie w?re es mit:
>>>"Aktualisiere Fernsehprogramm"
>>

>> Au ja, mach das mal. Kommt gerade so viel M?ll.
>> Sorry, konnte ich mir nicht verkneifen :)
>>
>> Vorschlag: EPG = Electronic Program Guide
>> zu Deutsch: Elektronischer Programmf?hrer
>> also "Aktualisiere Programmf?hrer" (aber bitte nicht "Aktualisiere EPF" ;) )
>
> Well, even though this discussion is about the German translation
> of the texts in VDR, may I remind you folks that this is an English
> speaking mailing list?

Sorry - I work in localisation (Ger>Eng and Eng>Ger) and just automatically
went into work mode when I saw this topic... Won't do it again.

> Regarding the "EPG": I'm pretty sure most people know what "EPG"
> means, and would probably wonder what a "Programmf?hrer" is.
> Besides, I don't think we need another "F?hrer"...

Don't be so precious. Programmf?hrer gets 356,000 hits on Google, so its
usage cannot be disputed. I had thought about "Programmdaten", but the
confusion between "Programm" and "Kanal" in the context of TV is as
apparent in German as it is in English. Sendung is the obviously the term
for each individual broadcast, and since the thread was about getting away
from jargon, English jargon at that, I found it appropriate to modify EPG.
FWIW, you'll probably find a lot of English-speaking people (in the UK at
least) wouldn't know at first glance what an EPG was. Don't forget, too,
that this message appears in isolation on the screen, without the EPG
itself being present to give context.

> Forcibly translating things sometimes leads to funny situations,
> where the original English word is put in parenthesises after the
> German word, because nobody really knows what it means ;-)

Well of course - neologising for its own sake when a perfectly
understandable, though foreign, word exists is generally the realm of
language advocates, not people who want to make a product that can be
understood by the population at large.

> Anyway, once this discussion has come to a conclusion, please provide
> a complete revised patch against VDR 1.3.47.
>
> Klaus

I will leave that to people who are more technically (and linguistically)
competent than I.

Iwan