DXR3 jams the whole system

Zitat von Jukka Tastula <jukka.tastula@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thursday 21 April 2005 15:54, Sami Hakkarainen wrote:
>
> > by one to find out when the changes that cause this have been made. It
> > can't be a hardware issue if the older versions work fine, can it?
>
> That's what too many people who overclock their cpus and memory to the
> limit and then try compile something say. "But my windows runs just fine,
> never had a crash!".
>
> Hardware problems can be elusive but it doesn't mean they don't exist.
> I guess the older version of the program just doesn't poke the hardware
> where it's broken -> no crash/hang/jam. That is if it is broken to begin
> with, we're still not sure about that.

cpuburn is your friend to test the stability of a new or changed system.
Finds mmx/memory-transfer errors on broken mainboards/cpu's. It's designed to
produce maximum heat/load on each cpu and finds errors by comparing calculated
and expected results.
Example: i found, that my old mainboard (labeled FSB133) did not reliable work
at 133 MHz FSB although the right memory was used (tested with 3 different RAM
chips), with 100 it was (almost) stable.

Typical userware might not be suitable for that job because of:
1. not stressing enough (look at the cpu-temp when cpuburn runs - it jumps
+10?C almost)
2. most times the errors are not detected because the software just runs on
producing wrong results, video glitches etc. but does not crash most the time