DXR3 jams the whole system

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 19:00, Sami Hakkarainen wrote:
> issues. If you have any suggestions, need more details, anything, this
> is a desperate man writing, please reply.

If the whole system hangs that means there's a problem with some driver in
the kernel or the hardware, not vdr.  But then you say it still responds
to ping so there's no telling if it's just some runaway program spawning
processes as fast as it can making the system too busy (perhaps a good
idea to set the sshd process to -20 priority to make sure it can always do
what it needs to do) to respond before timeout or if some part of the
kernel actually decided to stop working.

"It just hangs" is not very much to go on but I guess the basic things to
check are still worth mentioning, again.

First disable the ACPI and APIC (and MSI if you were crazy enough to
compile it in) irq nonsense (ie boot with pci=noacpi noapic). Most (all?)
distributions enable these two troublemakers by default. I honestly have
no idea why. Then (after you disabled the acpi pci irq routing thing, very
important) check for irq conflicts in lspci. Change cards around in the
pci slots until you find a non-conflicting setup. Sure, they should
happily share irqs but try tell that to my computers; they're not
listening to the theory at all. Yours probably isn't either.

If you're using an AMD K7 cpu you probably want to disable athlon power
saving with athcool in case your board (like both my boards (epox boards
btw)) enables it by default. If you have this you've probably noticed it
already. For me it causes constant dropouts in video and audio. Took a
while to figure out what was going on. Sometimes the box just locks hard
with this thing enabled. I didn't think it possible that some manufacturer
would be stupid enough to enable this nonsense by default. Just leave it
to epox, they'll manage to get it wrong.

Make sure you're using the latest em8300 from cvs. Disable NPTL if your
system was compiled with it.   Try different kernel versions, not just
different vdr versions.  Vanilla kernels are probably the best place to
start testing. On my vdr box 2.6.9+cvs lirc+cvs em8300+cvs dvb-kernel
appears to be a very stable combination. Anything above that and it's five
days and the kernel decides to disable the dvb card's irq.

It would also be very interesting to see if there are any clues printed on
the console or what kind of processes are running on the system when this
"crash" occurs. You'll probably need a monitor and keyboard connected to
the system to get this though.