DXR3 jams the whole system

What seems to be the weirdest thing about this is that VDR 1.3.12 +
DXR3 0.23-pre1 doesn't have this jamming problem. It does crash a lot,
especially when viewing recordings, but it never takes the whole
system down like the newer versions do. What is done differently in
the newer versions that could cause this kind of behaviour? I think
I'll soon be desperate enough to go through the old CVS versions one
by one to find out when the changes that cause this have been made. It
can't be a hardware issue if the older versions work fine, can it?