how to convert vdr to divx?

Craig Sanders wrote:
> one-pass took 37 minutes and resulted in a file 381MB in size.
> (transcoding at approx 50fps)
>
> three-pass took 206 minutes and resulted in a file 707MB in size.
> (transcoding at approx 227fps for pass1, 50fps for pass 2, and only 8fps
> for pass 3)
>
> quality was excellent on both versions. the one-pass seemed very
> slightly fuzzy in comparison to the three-pass, but it was only
> noticable if you were looking for it....and even then, i'm not 100% sure
> that i didn't just imagine it because i was expecting it to be worse.

I thought that the whole point of mutipass divx encoding is to achieve
a better quality at the same bitrate. Am I wrong here?
Are you sure you specified the same bitrate for both experiments?

And, just for benchmark purposes, have you tried a low bitrate for
both one-pass and three-pass, so you can see the differences easier?

Carsten.