how to convert vdr to divx?

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 06:34, Craig Sanders wrote:
> ok, i give up. i've been trying for days to figure out how to reliably
> convert vdr recordings to divx to save space (approx 300-400MB/hour vs
> approx 2GB/hr) . the best i've managed is that *some* recordings can be
> converted, but some won't. i have no idea why some work and some don't -
> as far as i can tell, it seems to be random (but i know it can't be).

1) configure mplayer with --enable-largefiles
2) don't ever cut the recordings with vdr
3) run the recording through vdrsync.pl -mpeg2
4) optionally use avidemux to cut (hint: the way to not get any artifacts
at cut points is to cut so that the last frame in a segment will be a p
frame and the first in the next segment an i frame) out anything you don't
want in the final file, I suggest avidemux 2.0.36. .38 seems a bit messed
up
5) run the resulting one big mpeg2 file through mencoder

Sometimes there's a sound sync problem but so far every time for me it has
been constant, never drifting so it's easy to fix with avidemux or
avisync.