Re: Problem building util-linux without a separate ncursesw include dir

Rüdiger Meier wrote:
On 01/19/2018 07:21 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 19 Jan 2018 10:40, Karel Zak wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 09:47:17PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 01 Aug 2017 09:20, Karel Zak wrote:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:46:39PM -0300, Carlos Santos wrote:

[trim]

The ncurses detection and variability in distros is horrible. We
already tried all possible combinations and always someone complains
about the way how we detect ncurses. See mailing list archive for more
information.

that's the point of pkg-config.  if someone is having problems because
they're doing something weird/non-standard, tell them to sort out their
pkg-config installs.

non-standard is to have ncurses.pc installed. Also cross-compiling is
certainly more "weird" than not cross-compiling. Regarding "tell them",
Have you tried yet to ask ncurses upstream about installing *.pc files
by default?

In linuxfromscratch we build ncurses with the --enable-widec switch. We then add

ln -sfv ncursesw.pc    /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ncurses.pc
ln -sfv libncurses.so  /usr/lib/libcurses.so

We have never had a problem with util-linux. I'm not sure how other distros do it, but the above may give some clues about the original problem.

We do some other things too (we support a separate /usr partition) but the ncurses build is at

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/ncurses.html

  -- Bruce