Re: Problem building util-linux without a separate ncursesw include dir

On 01/19/2018 07:21 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 19 Jan 2018 10:40, Karel Zak wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 09:47:17PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 01 Aug 2017 09:20, Karel Zak wrote:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:46:39PM -0300, Carlos Santos wrote:
From: "Carlos Santos" <casantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: util-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 9:12:03 PM
Subject: Problem building util-linux without a separate ncursesw include dir

of util-linux. Would it be possible to make the location of ncursesw4c12a334dc4104d16dc06edf51904b08b08fcdfa
headers configurable, instead?

We test for alone ncurses.h and term.h in the for non-wide ncurses.
Can you send output from your configure from the current master
branch (or v2.30.1)?

I was thinking on something simple, like https://pastebin.com/VqM9G9yu

Hmm, but you don't distinguish between wide and non-wide ncurses.

why don't we just support ncurses's pkg-config files as the default ?
$ pkg-config --cflags ncurses
-D_GNU_SOURCE
$ pkg-config --cflags ncursesw
-D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/ncursesw

because pkg-config is not supported by ncurses upstream by default and
it's not always the best solution.

you mean upstream's configure script doesn't default it to on.  distros
can (and many do) simply pass --enable-pc-files to get them.  but i don't
see how that's relevant to preference when it comes to detection.

See commit 4c12a334dc4104d16dc06edf51904b08b08fcdfa.

seems like that's trivial to resolve with a compile test rather than
throwing it all out.  xxx-config scripts provide bad defaults when you
cross-compile because now the user has to make sure the build's copy
of ncurses-config don't get used.

The ncurses detection and variability in distros is horrible. We
already tried all possible combinations and always someone complains
about the way how we detect ncurses. See mailing list archive for more
information.

that's the point of pkg-config.  if someone is having problems because
they're doing something weird/non-standard, tell them to sort out their
pkg-config installs.

non-standard is to have ncurses.pc installed. Also cross-compiling is
certainly more "weird" than not cross-compiling. Regarding "tell them",
Have you tried yet to ask ncurses upstream about installing *.pc files
by default?

However I agree that pkg-config should be checked *before* ncurses-config
otherwise it doesn't make much sense to support pc-files at all. The case
that *.pc or ncurses-config files are installed without the headers is
really a packaging bug made by distros. We don't need to handle this case.

BTW we need to fix our usage of environment vars NCURSESW_CFLAGS,
NCURSESW_LIBS, NCURSES_CFLAGS, NCURSES_LIBS. They don't seem to work as
expected although documented in configure --help. These vars should skip
pkg-config and ncurses-config too. Probably this would work automatically
again when doing pkg-config before ncurses-config.

I still think we should evaluate autoconf_archive's ncurses detection. It's
using pkg-config first and then fallback even without ncurses-config. Could
be that even cross-compiling would work without *.pc files.
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_with_curses.html
Though I'm too lazy for testing this ;)

that's a lot easier than trying to cater to all
the stupid ways people try to set up their build environments.

Installing ncurses via './configure && make install' is not the most
stupid thing IMO ... Maybe just remove your ncurses-config system wide
if you don't like it or use it correctly. Could be easier than telling
all other people on the planet that they have to install ncurses in a way
you like ...

cu,
Rudi