Re: Problem building util-linux without a separate ncursesw include dir

On 20 Jan 2018 18:50, Rüdiger Meier wrote:
> On 01/19/2018 07:21 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

that's a silly position to try to take.  you're claiming anything that isn't
turned on by default in `./configure` is non-standard ?  have you ever actually
tried building ncurses before and see what its defaults are ?  ncursesw isn't
the default, neither is installing into a subdir like /usr/include/ncursesw.
neither is libtinfo nor libtinfow.

> Also cross-compiling is certainly more "weird" than not cross-compiling.

you are aware that multilib is cross-compiling right ?  so people are doing
it every day on all the mainstream distros.

> Regarding "tell them",
> Have you tried yet to ask ncurses upstream about installing *.pc files
> by default?

i can send them an e-mail, but Thomas often leans towards not changing things
from how they've always been done, so i'm not exactly hopeful.

> > that's a lot easier than trying to cater to all
> > the stupid ways people try to set up their build environments.
>
> Installing ncurses via './configure && make install' is not the most
> stupid thing IMO ... Maybe just remove your ncurses-config system wide
> if you don't like it or use it correctly. Could be easier than telling
> all other people on the planet that they have to install ncurses in a way
> you like ...

telling people to mess with their build system (actively breaking it),
especially when they might be on a shared system or where they don't have
admin access, doesn't sound like a great idea to me.  especially when it's
trivial for them to resolve with --enable-pc-files.  then again, the number
of people who are building & installing ncurses by hand seems significantly
lower than those who get it from distros, so catering to their choices (that
then break things) doesn't seem worth it when they can simply adjust to do
what everyone else is doing.
-mike