Re: umount chokes on devices with '-' in the name

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 02:37:21PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 4/12/2011 2:13 PM, Karel Zak wrote:
> > I really don't want to waste time with discussion about the correct
> > term for /dev/mapper/<name> ... everything what I want to say is that
> > the /dev/mapper/<name> is preferred for userspace.
>
> I agree there.  What I disagree with is:
>
> 1)  Your patch is actually UNcanonicalizing the name
>
> 2)  mtab should record the canonicalized name to maintain compatibility
> with it being replaced with a symlink to /proc/mounts ( which always
> shows the canonicalized name )

 Not true,

  $ cat /proc/mounts | grep mapper
  /dev/mapper/kzak-home /home/kzak ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

 the kernel name is always used in /proc/swaps, the /proc/mounts
 follows mount(2) syscall.

> 3)  When mount is called to print the mount table, it should
> uncanonicalize the name to be more user friendly
>
> 4)  umount should canonicalize the name before searching for it in mtab
> ( or maybe search for both names? )

 It all seems like an extra unnecessary step, if you use everywhere
 (including /proc/mounts) user-friendly /dev/mapper/<name> names then
 you have to translate from dm-N very rarely.

 Don't forget that mtab and /proc/mounts could be really large
 files. Our goal is minimize number of situation where we have to
 translate any path.

 Anyway, I'm not sure what issue you're trying to resolve. The
 mount(8) and umount(8) have to be able to work with both versions of
 the name. The problem in umount(8) was fixed. Problem resolved.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com