Re: umount chokes on devices with '-' in the name

On 4/12/2011 2:13 PM, Karel Zak wrote:
> I really don't want to waste time with discussion about the correct
> term for /dev/mapper/<name> ... everything what I want to say is that
> the /dev/mapper/<name> is preferred for userspace.

I agree there.  What I disagree with is:

1)  Your patch is actually UNcanonicalizing the name

2)  mtab should record the canonicalized name to maintain compatibility
with it being replaced with a symlink to /proc/mounts ( which always
shows the canonicalized name )

3)  When mount is called to print the mount table, it should
uncanonicalize the name to be more user friendly

4)  umount should canonicalize the name before searching for it in mtab
( or maybe search for both names? )