Re: [Patch] script: Implement --ts-output and --ts-script options. -v2

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 02:07:24PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

> > >  This is not separate issue, we already have all necessary timing
> > >  information (well, now in separate file) -- it seems like nonsense to
> > >  duplicate this stuff and introduce a new timing data.
> >
> > The timing information is completely different in purpose.  In one,
> > we are trying to recreate the feel of the session.  In the other, we
> > are trying to determine how long has elapsed.
>
>  And? The important is to store all necessary information to the
>  typescript the, so you can later generate arbitrary output.
>
>  I believe that we can use scriptreplay(1) for "feel of the session"
>  and also for "determine how long has elapsed" from one typescript
>  file. The scriptreplay(1) behaviour should be controlled by command
>  line options.
>
> > the replay information to add the timestamps after the fact to the log,
> > but how would you propose adding it to the display on stdout?
>

>  script --show-timing     <-- prints to stdout (like your --ts-output)
>         --save-timing     <-- store generic timing data to the typescript file
>
>  scriptreplay --show-timing    <-- like your --ts-output
>

> > >  For example from your point of view is important to track delay
> > >  between lines, but for someone else could be interesting to track
> > >  delay between prompts ($PS1), ... etc.
> >
> > Then, at that time, allow them to add the ability to change the
> > demarcation from my simple search for '\n' to regexp match, but that is
> > their issue then and not my issue now.
>
> You want to store the final timing output string to the typescript
> file. I want to store a generic timing data to typescript file and
> generate the output by --show-timing. That's all.

Except we nearly always use this tool to watch the console during
a boot.  Some of these larger boots take hours.  Being able to look at
the slowdowns during that boot while additional data is being gathered
has proven to be valuable.

Robin