Re: [Patch] script: Implement --ts-output and --ts-script options. -v2

> > readable format, it is fairly efficient.  Again, addressing changes to
> > how the replay data is captured seems like an issue separate from this.
>
>  This is not separate issue, we already have all necessary timing
>  information (well, now in separate file) -- it seems like nonsense to
>  duplicate this stuff and introduce a new timing data.

The timing information is completely different in purpose.  In one,
we are trying to recreate the feel of the session.  In the other, we
are trying to determine how long has elapsed.  I realize we could use
the replay information to add the timestamps after the fact to the log,
but how would you propose adding it to the display on stdout?

> > This timing information is for a different purpose, specifically to track
> > how many seconds each line of output took relative to either start of script or
> > the previous end of line.
>
>  Again, I'm looking for a generic solution rather than for a solution
>  how to resolve your and only your issue.
>
>  For example from your point of view is important to track delay
>  between lines, but for someone else could be interesting to track
>  delay between prompts ($PS1), ... etc.

Then, at that time, allow them to add the ability to change the
demarcation from my simple search for '\n' to regexp match, but that is
their issue then and not my issue now.

Robin