Re: [Patch] script: Implement --ts-output and --ts-script options. -v2

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 06:25:36AM -0500, Robin Holt wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:50:23AM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> > > --ts-output	Add a formatted timestamp to stdout for each new line
> > > 		of output.  The timestamp is composed of two floating
> > > 		point values, the first is seconds since the script
> > > 		was started.  The second is seconds since the previous
> > > 		line of output.
> > >
> > > --ts-script	Puts the same values as above in the typescript file
> > > 		instead of stdout.
> >
> >  Is it really good idea to introduce long options when the rest of
> >  the options are short?
>
> What, fundamentally, is the problem with using long options?  This seems
> to be the trend.  I personally love them as they give me a clear idea
> of the intent of the option.

 Ah, I have nothing against long options. The correct implementation
 is to have short and/or long variants for *all* options.

> >  Do we really need --ts-script? I think the timing file (script -t)
> >  already includes all necessary information and everything what you
> >  need is to modify scriptreplay(1) to re-count and print timing
> >  information per line.
>
> It is extremely convenient to have the timing information included in

 OK, I agree that it makes sense to store all information to the
 typescript file (but the old format has to be supported too).

 We can extend the current typescript format, but it would be nice to
 provide the same quality of timing information that we have currently
 in the separate timing file -- it means time-per-bytes rather than
 time-per-line.

 The scriptreplay(1) should be also updated to understand the new
 format.

 (Yes, I'm looking for a generic solution.)

> >  Please, don't include generated stuff to your patches. Don't care
> >  about po/* at all, these files are updated before release.
>
> That would usually be true, but when you modify the _("...") string, you
> have modified the msgid="..." field in the .po file and unless you modify
> the msgstr=".." field, the internationalized version will not be correct.

 Sure, see "po: merge changes" commits in the repository. The po/*
 files are updated before release and translated by translationproject.org.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>