Re: New scriptreplay is out-of-sync (longish)

Andrew McGill wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 21:28:07 Micah Cowan wrote:
>>> A neat place for timing information is to define a "delay in input"
>>> escape - e.g. a delay of 1.123456 seconds is represented by ESC [ 42 ; 1
>>> ; 123456 ] (with a meta-meaning of "life is full of short delays")
>> Esc [ ... ] is SDS, and is supposed to be the _start_ of a longer
>> control string (with support for nesting). Probably a poor choice of
>> escape.
> There is already a conflict between the Linux console escapes and ECMA 48's
> SDS.  (And do we really like ECMA?)
>
> QOTD >>
> Sequence: CSI Ps ; Pn ... ]
>
>        ESC [ 1 ; n ]       Set color n as the underline color
>        ESC [ 2 ; n ]       Set color n as the dim color
>        ESC [ 8 ]           Make the current color pair the default attributes.
>        ESC [ 9 ; n ]       Set screen blank timeout to n minutes.
>        ESC [ 10 ; n ]      Set bell frequency in Hz.
>        ESC [ 11 ; n ]      Set bell duration in msec.
>        ESC [ 12 ; n ]      Bring specified console to the front.
>        ESC [ 13 ]          Unblank the screen.
>        ESC [ 14 ; n ]      Set the VESA powerdown interval in minutes.
>
> Source: Linux console_codes(4)
> <<QOTD

That's well and good, but what about other terminals that may actually
understand SDS, and stop rendering characters until it sees the
terminating SDS? Just because one terminal does it doesn't mean we
should follow suit.

And, why dislike ECMA? They took great pains to give private
implementors as much space as they could need. So why trample on
standardized space?

>> Better to use a terminating character from the private space [`a-z{|}~],
>> perhaps with some preceding intermediate bytes [ !"#$%&'()*+,-./] to
>> avoid collisions.
> I looked through http://bjh21.me.uk/all-escapes/all-escapes.txt quoted above.
> A lot of that private space is already used for private functions - which is
> possibly the reason that the ']' terminator was chosen for those Linux
> console escapes.

That's what intermediate bytes are for. Since there's an infinite
combination of intermediate-bytes + private final bytes, that really is
all one should need. \[[Pm~ taken? Try \[[Pm!~ or \[[Pm$~ or \[[Pm$!+,/~...

> ...snip
>> I thought the beep codes are only via ioctrl? At the least, I know it
>> can be done via ioctrl (I wrote a music-playing program for the console
>> called "ditty", quite some time ago).
>
> # Mary had a little lamb in shell script:

<snip>

Nice! :)

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.
http://micah.cowan.name/