Re: New scriptreplay is out-of-sync (longish)

On Monday 28 July 2008 14:40:00 Micah Cowan wrote (in part):
> One way of looking at this is that this functionality was broken by the
> reimplementation in C.
I had the same problem with my (rejected) update -
http://www.lunch.za.net/software/script/script.c

> Another position, at least as equally viable, is that
> script/scriptreplay was never really quite working right in the first
> place.
100% agree.

> I just added support for timing files, so that you could include the
> timing information, make edits (whatever's needed to debug a pesky
> terminal issue), and the timings would all still be in the correct
> place. These timings are inserted into the output as "delay lines", e.g.:
..snip..
> If I had to choose, fixing script is the solution that appeals to me
> most; but given that it's been like that for forever, and people may be
> depending on its current idiosyncracies somewhere, and fixing it could
> confuse people who try to share typescripts, it's not insane to consider
> just "breaking" scriptreplay properly instead. ;)

A neat place for timing information is to define a "delay in input" escape -
e.g. a delay of 1.123456 seconds is represented by ESC [ 42 ; 1 ; 123456 ]
(with a meta-meaning of "life is full of short delays")

Cons:

 - More escape chars in script's output -- possibly frustrating certain types
of grep.  If it's optional, this doesn't matter.

Pro's:

 - It's very simple

 - A partial script file can retain timing information (e.g. the last 10
minutes of ascii star wars).

 - Appending to a script file with timing becomes possible

 - We can dispose of the timing file entirely, and get rid of the orrible
ackiness noted

 - Most (all?) terminals will ignore it as a spurious escapes (ie. "cat
typescript" still looks right in every way, except for CPR replies)

And most importantly:

 - Having a delay code makes it possible to play music with the linux console
beep codes (set pitch, set duration, send bell, delay).  Adding audio to
aalib is a good idea - no?