Re: New scriptreplay is out-of-sync (longish)

Andrew McGill wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 14:40:00 Micah Cowan wrote (in part):
>> One way of looking at this is that this functionality was broken by the
>> reimplementation in C.
> I had the same problem with my (rejected) update -
> http://www.lunch.za.net/software/script/script.c
>
>> Another position, at least as equally viable, is that
>> script/scriptreplay was never really quite working right in the first
>> place.
> 100% agree.
>
> A neat place for timing information is to define a "delay in input" escape -
> e.g. a delay of 1.123456 seconds is represented by ESC [ 42 ; 1 ; 123456 ]
> (with a meta-meaning of "life is full of short delays")

Esc [ ... ] is SDS, and is supposed to be the _start_ of a longer
control string (with support for nesting). Probably a poor choice of escape.

Better to use a terminating character from the private space [`a-z{|}~],
perhaps with some preceding intermediate bytes [ !"#$%&'()*+,-./] to
avoid collisions.

> Cons:
>
>  - More escape chars in script's output -- possibly frustrating certain types
> of grep.  If it's optional, this doesn't matter.
>
> Pro's:
>
>  - It's very simple
>
>  - A partial script file can retain timing information (e.g. the last 10
> minutes of ascii star wars).

And it has the advantage that inserting new characters doesn't throw off
the timing.

>  - Appending to a script file with timing becomes possible
>
>  - We can dispose of the timing file entirely, and get rid of the orrible
> ackiness noted

People will still want it: it was there before, it should be there now.
Plus, there are some few folks who my want _just_ the timing info,
without the data, I don't know.

>  - Most (all?) terminals will ignore it as a spurious escapes (ie. "cat
> typescript" still looks right in every way, except for CPR replies)

There are likely to be exceptions, which is another good case for at
least allowing an out-of-band communications mode for the timing.

> And most importantly:
>
>  - Having a delay code makes it possible to play music with the linux console
> beep codes (set pitch, set duration, send bell, delay).  Adding audio to
> aalib is a good idea - no?

I thought the beep codes are only via ioctrl? At the least, I know it
can be done via ioctrl (I wrote a music-playing program for the console
called "ditty", quite some time ago).

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.
http://micah.cowan.name/