Re: New scriptreplay is out-of-sync (longish)

On Monday 28 July 2008 21:28:07 Micah Cowan wrote:
> > A neat place for timing information is to define a "delay in input"
> > escape - e.g. a delay of 1.123456 seconds is represented by ESC [ 42 ; 1
> > ; 123456 ] (with a meta-meaning of "life is full of short delays")
>
> Esc [ ... ] is SDS, and is supposed to be the _start_ of a longer
> control string (with support for nesting). Probably a poor choice of
> escape.
There is already a conflict between the Linux console escapes and ECMA 48's
SDS.  (And do we really like ECMA?)

QOTD >>
Sequence: CSI Ps ; Pn ... ]

       ESC [ 1 ; n ]       Set color n as the underline color
       ESC [ 2 ; n ]       Set color n as the dim color
       ESC [ 8 ]           Make the current color pair the default attributes.
       ESC [ 9 ; n ]       Set screen blank timeout to n minutes.
       ESC [ 10 ; n ]      Set bell frequency in Hz.
       ESC [ 11 ; n ]      Set bell duration in msec.
       ESC [ 12 ; n ]      Bring specified console to the front.
       ESC [ 13 ]          Unblank the screen.
       ESC [ 14 ; n ]      Set the VESA powerdown interval in minutes.

Source: Linux console_codes(4)
<<QOTD

> Better to use a terminating character from the private space [`a-z{|}~],
> perhaps with some preceding intermediate bytes [ !"#$%&'()*+,-./] to
> avoid collisions.
I looked through http://bjh21.me.uk/all-escapes/all-escapes.txt quoted above.
A lot of that private space is already used for private functions - which is
possibly the reason that the ']' terminator was chosen for those Linux
console escapes.

...snip
> I thought the beep codes are only via ioctrl? At the least, I know it
> can be done via ioctrl (I wrote a music-playing program for the console
> called "ditty", quite some time ago).

# Mary had a little lamb in shell script:
exec > /dev/console
echo -ne '\e[11;245]'
echo -ne '\e[10;323]\a' ; sleep 0.25
echo -ne '\e[10;287]\a' ; sleep 0.25
echo -ne '\e[10;256]\a' ; sleep 0.25
echo -ne '\e[10;287]\a' ; sleep 0.25,
echo -ne '\e[10;323]\a' ; sleep 0.25
echo -ne '\e[10;323]\a' ; sleep 0.25
echo -ne '\e[11;490]'
echo -ne '\e[10;323]\a' ; sleep 0.50

Without the sleeps, the above code makes a single beep.  With a pause code, it
would be rewritten something like:

{
echo -ne '\e[11;245]'
echo -ne '\e[10;323]\a\e[42;0;250000]'