RFC: integrating inputattach with ldattach (was: gigasetm101d daemon [resent])

Vojtech Pavlik schrieb:
On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:59:09PM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:12:05AM +0100, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> And by the way, what about that
> > kind of tool in
>> one of the input packages to attach input line disciplines
> you mentioned in your mail dated 26.01.2008 20:28? Can you point me
> to a source so that I can make sure ldattach covers its functionality
> too?

Ok, did a little search in my archives, and it's called inputattach.
It's a package of it's own in most distributions but I can't actually
find an upstream source for it.  I've Cc'ed Vojtech because he wrote
it.

I used to maintain it in the linuxconsole.sf.net CVS, now it's
maintained by Dmitry Torokhov. Ccing Dmitry - Dmitry, is the development
now moved or is still the sf.net repository the master?

Ok, I found a version at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/dtor/inputattach.c
which looks reasonably recent (v1.24 2006/02/06) and had a quick
look.

Apart from the TIOCSETD ioctl which it has in common with ldattach,
it also contains a large table of device specific data and methods
for initializing the various input devices which can be driven by
the N_MOUSE line discipline. In order to merge this into ldattach,
I would probably extend the <disc> command line argument in order
to select table-driven pre- and post-TIOCSETD actions and parameter
presets. For example:

current:  inputattach --mouseman /dev/ttyS0
-> new:   ldattach INPUT=mouseman /dev/ttyS0

(Defining INPUT as an alias for MOUSE in order to avoid ugly
combinations like MOUSE=sunkbd. ;-)

I am however somewhat unsure whether such a solution would be
desirable, or if the requirements of N_MOUSE are so unique as to
warrant a separate utility. Opinions?

Thx
T.

--