Re: gigasetm101d daemon [resent]

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:28:15 +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 06:06:47PM +0100, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:49:40AM +0100, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
The Siemens Gigaset M101 driver [...] needs a
simple userspace daemon for pushing it onto the serial line in
question and holding it there. I have called this daemon gigasetm101d
and would like to propose it for inclusion in util-linux-ng.
 I don't think that util-linux-ng is there for this purpose. It's not
 place for HW specific tools. Sorry.
Do you know of any better place?

A little package of it's own?

Doesn't work. What's missing is a way to get distributions to pick
it up. Current distributions ship a kernel with the driver included
but unusable because the daemon is missing. That's the situation I'm
trying to change.

One thing that might be useful would be a more generic utility to deal
with the line discipline issue.

Or a way of dealing with it without having recourse to a userspace
daemon. It doesn't really make sense to require a userspace daemon
just for pushing a line discipline to a serial port and holding it
there, does it?

 We already have some kind of tool in
one of the input packages to attach input line disciplines,

Pointer?

but having
one generic onbe to rule them all would be wonderful.  And that generic
one would fit perfectly into util-linux aswell :)

I might do that, but I prefer first to have Karel's opinion whether
he would accept something like that. I have already been led to
believe I could submit my present daemon to util-linux, only to be
dryly rejected when everything was ready; this time I'd like to
know before I start investing time.

Btw, stty(1) does something infuriatingly almost-working:

# exec 3< /dev/ttyS0
# stty cread raw 115200 line 16  3<&0
# stty -a 3<&0

reports

| speed 115200 baud; rows 64; columns 160; line = 16;

but the line discipline is not actually activated.

--
Tilman Schmidt                          E-Mail: tilman@xxxxxxx
Bonn, Germany