SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Kaibab National Forest Fire Information

Prescribed Fire Update

WILLIAMS, Ariz. – Kaibab fire managers announce that continued dry and warm weather has resulted in appropriate conditions to begin prescribed burning on the Williams Ranger District. Fire crews are prepared to conduct prescribed fires as early as next week on Sept. 20 or 21. The planned projects are located east and south of Williams.

Smoke will be heaviest during the burn and will taper off each day after that. Fire managers will take measures to minimize smoke impacts as much as possible.

“We appreciate that many community members came to our prescribed fire public meetings, received information, asked questions, and provided feedback about our prescribed burning,” stated Martie Schramm, Williams District Ranger. “We strive to keep the public informed of our prescribed burning and appreciate the publics’ understanding of our objectives to improve forest health and reduce hazardous fuels, thereby protecting our communities from destructive wildfire.”

The ignition of all of our burns is dependent on the availability of personnel and equipment, favorable weather conditions, and Arizona Department of Environmental Quality approval. Burns are conducted within a “prescription” that is determined by appropriate fuel moisture, temperature, humidity, wind, and ventilation. Fire crews implement, monitor, and patrol each project to ensure it meets the goals and objectives outlined in our prescribed burn plans.

For additional information, please call Punky Moore, Fire Information Officer, 928-635-5653.

Punky Moore
Fire Information Officer
Kaibab National Forest
Williams/Tusayan Ranger District