SOUTHWESTERN-NEWS-RELEASE: Coconino National Forest Smoke Information

The Coconino National Forest has established this method of notifying you of planned and current fuels treatment activities on the forest. For confirmation or for more information, please visit our "Current Conditions" page of the Coconino National Forest web-site. You may click
this link
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/conditions/current-rx.shtml, or use the "shortcut" to our main page: www.coconinoforest.us

The Coconino County Health Department provides information about smoke
concerns and offers suggestions for minimizing smoke impacts to your family and home at the following website http://www.coconino.az.gov/health.aspx?id=6564.

Pending favorable weather conditions, the following prescribed fire projects are planned for tomorrow and Friday, April 23-24:
All prescribed fire activity is dependant on weather, crew availability, and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).

Thursday April 23:
Fort Valley Project.  Approximately 150 acres of broadcast burning northeast of Hwy 180, off Shultz Pass Road (Forest Road 420).  Smoke is expected to disperse to the northeast with the forecast winds.  Moderate winds in the evening should continue to move smoke out of the area, however, some will likely linger briefly around Hwy 180 and Baderville.
Rocky Project.  Approximately 300 acres of broadcast burning southeast of Munds Park, approximately 5 miles east of I-17 off Forest Road 226.  This is a maintenance burn so smoke should be lighter and will disperse to the northeast.  Residual smoke will settle in the nearby canyons and drainages.

Projects fire managers will consider – pending weather conditions – for Friday April 24:
Rocky Project – East of I-17, south of Munds Park
A1 Project – North of I-40, West of Flagstaff

The Forest's prescribed fire activity is also available on the Prescribed Fire Hotline at 928-226-4607.  Additional information can be found on the website, http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/conditions/current-rx.shtml, or by calling your local ranger station.