ALASKA-NEWS-RELEASE:Resource Advisory Committees Forming

Resource Advisory Committees Forming
Focus on Collaboration Between Land Managers and Communities

ANCHORAGE, Alaska The Chugach National Forest is calling on those who enjoy the Forest’s outstanding natural resources to consider serving on a Resource Advisory Committee (RAC).  RACs work collaboratively to advise the Forest Service on projects that improve existing infrastructure, enhance forest ecosystems, and restore land health and water quality on Forest Service lands.  Funding for the projects is provided by the 2008 Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act, which seeks to strengthen relationships between land managers and local communities through the creation of advisory committees.

The Chugach National Forest is hoping to establish two committees: one spanning Prince William Sound, and another encompassing the roads and railways that connect the Kenai Peninsula with Anchorage.  District Rangers Travis Moseley, Kate Walker, and Teresa Benson will work directly with the RACs.

“I am looking forward to the opportunity to work closely with members of the RAC to ensure that key local stewardship opportunities for the land are considered for funding under the Secure Rural Schools program,” says Cordova District Ranger Teresa Benson.

Kate Walker, Ranger at the Glacier Ranger District comments: “I have had the opportunity to work with RACs in Montana and Northern Idaho. They are a fantastic tool to get money to the ground and, more importantly, keep the community at the forefront of project selection. I am excited to see that program get moving here in Alaska.”

Seward District Ranger Travis Moseley agrees: “I look forward to working collaboratively with our local communities to identify meaningful projects of interest that benefit natural resources and local economies.  I believe the formation of this RAC will provide substantive insights to public interests, as well as
opportunities to address those interests by directing federal funds toward implementation of well supported projects.”

Applications to the RACs will be accepted through May 1, and are available by contacting Heather Gott, RAC Coordinator, at (907) 743-9505 or hgott@xxxxxxxxxx  Detailed information concerning the makeup, functions, and responsibilities of resource advisory committees under the 2008 Secure Rural Schools Act is on the Web at www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach and www.fs.fed.us/srs/racs.

Please contact Heather Gott (907) 743-9505  or hgott@xxxxxxxxx for more information. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -