Re: About to unsubcribe

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 07:56:15PM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Patrick Vervoorn:
> > Yeah, I know, nothing much has happened. I badly hacked the sources a few
> > times since that release to get it working (again/faster/better). It's too
> > bad there's no real alternative; I've tried slrn, but that's also not it.
> >
> > Are there any people on this list who found a 'worthy' alternative to trn?
>
> Haven't found one yet either.  There are things that clearly irk me
> about (no utf-8 support, bug with memory allocation when article numbers
> are high) and I'd love to have a copy of the CVS repo to convert it to
> something else and play with it (I guess I could do w/o the history).
>
> Still beats the pants off almost every text-based newsreader though.

Chalk up another list member here.  Spam filters take care of the garbage,
alternatively Sourceforge seems to be pretty accurate in use of the
[SPAM] header anyway so perhaps you could filter on that.

I've still not found anything which meets my needs as well as trn.  If I
had a wish list for trn I think better character set support would be
at the top of it.  But no other newsreader I've tried has the ability
to kill troll subthreads whilst leaving the main thread intact in the
simple but effective way trn can.

Nick