Re: Compiling trn

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>> which indeed led me to a Debian page, where some defines were moved around.
>> Did that, by hand, and a minute later I had a new trn compiled. I'm testing
>> it now, and it hasn't crashed yet with the 'glibc memory error <blabla>'
>> messages... *knock-on-wood*
>
> Well, it seems the problem isn't gone. Just got the error again, after using
> trn to read a group with about 1M of headers (non-threaded mode):
>
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x098be9f0 ***
> Aborted
>
> After which trn just quit. Is this a glibc error, or is this something trn
> has any control over? How do I proceed from this to trace this problem?

Just got another, different glibc generated error in a smaller newsgroup
(100K articles):

*** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0813f568 ***
Aborted

Is this possibly a hardware problem, memory perhaps damaged? (The machine
seems to be working OK otherwise.)

I also googled this, and it seems to be some basic error checking of the
glibc library; I'll try to use valgrind to debug trn using this, because
the message above is a bit cryptic. Is there a way to get trn to provide
more details of when this happens?

Regards, Patrick.